Friday, July 1, 2016

Juan Perez - Invisible Injuries

What may seem like a casual Saturday outing with your family to the Renaissance Festival is anything but normal for our family. On April 5th 2005 our lives changed in so many ways. I sustained a closed head trauma that resulted in Traumatic Brain Injury, PTSD, loss of vision in my left eye, cluster headaches, migraines, seizures, injury to both shoulders, just to name a few of my injuries.  My wounds were never as visible even from the beginning as some other Veterans. I have invisible wounds that are harder to understand because there is no visible reminder to the world that I have an injury.

I struggle with crowds and anxiety so a trip to the Renaissance Festival is anything but exciting for myself and my wife. We arrive early so we can be the first in line. I research the entire event ahead of time so I know what security is working the event, all the exits available, all the bathrooms. I park where I won't have an issue exiting in a hurry if necessary. My wife packs anxiety medication, migraine shots, a first aid kit just in case of an emergency to aid in my anxiety. My kids are trained to stay in pairs of 2 and always be in line of sight so that it reduces my anxiety. This has taken years of training and therapy so that my Wife and Children are aware of my needs, and I am aware that I cannot keep everyone locked up at home for safety.

We had a great day because they understand my needs and I know what to do to reduce my anxiety.

My position with the Coalition to Salute Americas Heroes has been a blessing. I have memory issues but I work with an extraordinary group that understands my injury and does not question when I can't remember something, if I have appointments, or if I am just struggling with life that day. If anything this has been the biggest blessing and healing for me because it means more than anything to be understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...