Friday, July 22, 2016

Joan Cadena - The “Not So Simple” Things

As I scramble around frantically packing for our family vacation to South Carolina, my husband is laying down because he is tired from studying all day and he is in so much pain, even as he relaxes he is unable to rest because he is unable to find a comfortable position.  I find myself frustrated.  I take a deep breath. I begin to mentally walk myself through this as I have done many times before. I am not the one in pain, physically have no idea what he is feeling and tell myself it’s not that he doesn’t want to help, but better that he just rests and takes the time he needs; it’s better this way for everyone. We have learned this the hard way.  Phew, we made it through that without a huge melt down.  Sometimes it is hard to decipher “normal” family problems and those that come along with the injuries that have forever changed the dynamics of our young family. 
I was not married to my husband at the time he was injured, however, was the one to receive that dreadful phone call that forever changed our future.  I remember telling an older lady familiar with military life and everything that comes along with it that we were getting married just 3 short months after his injury and “ you are one brave woman,” is what she said to me.  I was taken back and thought to myself “why,” “whatever comes our way we will overcome.”  At the time I did not realize how optimistically naive I was. As time went on, the reality of those simple words began to set in. Not because I thought I was brave, those words were all the sudden everything but simple.  I began to think I bit off more than I could chew. I began to believe I was not equipped to deal with a lifetime of everything that comes along with being married to an injured war veteran, and the unwritten expectations of managing a family with one.  On top of that, it seems nobody that is not directly exposed to someone injured at war, can comprehend the “little picture,” the day to day obstacles.  They may understand the big picture, and at first everyone seems to be on board, but as time goes on, that fades.  I was and still am guilty of this too.  As time goes on and we have more and more, good days, the bad days seems so distant, until we would have one. Boom…we worked so hard to put our marriage back together piece by piece to then be shattered by something so minuscule. Enough was enough and we turned to the God we believe in, when we put him first in our marriage everything seems to fall into place and we are unstoppable.  We are not perfect, and still fail each other at times, but when we realize that, instead of things shattering, it’s almost just a little scratch on the surface. 

I bring this up because we took a trip and that is what helped me get through packing, and the frustrations of others having expectations for my husband that I know are a bit unrealistic. Because my husband’s scars can be covered with a shirt and a smile, people think that time is healing everything.  In certain aspects they are right, but in others they could not be more dead wrong.  With me realizing this and being compassionate to that, this was one of the better vacations we have had.  If he wanted to stay back in the condo because he didn’t want to do something I was okay with that, I took pictures and brought them back to show him. Because there was a lot of physical activity involved in the vacation when he didn’t feel up to doing it I did not pressure him into it, and so that I wasn’t missing out I would just go with someone else at a time that he felt like vegging out and having his alone time.  When I was making sure everyone had enough underwear packed, and his concern was that his weapon was packed, many people would not understand that.   But I’m sure every veteran or wife of a veteran reading this is laughing a little to themselves because they can relate.  Although with time some of the wounds may begin to heal in our veterans, they still leave behind scars that are very much alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...