Tuesday, October 16, 2018

First One Up, Last One to Bed

There are numerous types of people in this world. There are the courageous, there are intellectuals, and there are peacemakers. Few of us embody ALL of these qualities, and we call ourselves caregivers.

Hello! My name is Rebecca Watts. I grew up a military brat, blessed with the opportunity to explore the world while my parents served our great nation. My stepfather did two tours to Iraq. During his deployment, he was blown up 16 times, shot, and pronounced dead on the battlefield. His last IED was in April of 2006 where he was medevacked to Germany for a broken back.  He has permanent hardware in his back, neck, face, right shoulder, PTSD, TBI, and spinal cord damage. My mother deployed to Afghanistan where her truck got hit by an IED in August 2006. She sustained a back injury, PTSD, and TBI. I was their caregiver for 5 years before I married my husband, Justin.

My husband served in the military for almost 10 years. It was his lifelong dream to serve our country. He joined in 2007 (split ops) in between our junior and senior year of high school, he completed basic training during summer break and returned back to complete his senior year of high school. He deployed to Afghanistan twice. During his second deployment in 2012, he was injured by a VBID while on a mission. He has had three reconstructive surgeries, TBI, and PTSD. We have four beautiful children! Scott 6yrs old, Brianna 2 years old and 1year old twins Jason and Raelynn.

Throughout my life’s journey, I have always been the glue that holds the pieces together for my loved ones. I know that I was given a special heart to be able to see the best in everyone. It takes clarity when everything is chaotic, an ear that hears what is not being said out loud, but most importantly determination to persevere and thrive. As crazy as my life has been, I would do it a million times over because it is my calling to give care to the ones that I love. Being a caregiver means you are the first one up, the last one to bed, and a heart that is filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...