Thursday, April 27, 2017

Welcomed surprises - Lacy Mullen

In my story earlier this month I mentioned I was attempting to put together a fund raising event for The Coalition to Salute America's Heroes. I also shared some of how PTSD by proxy has affected me. 

Here is an update:

I am happy to say this event is now completed and was a delightful success! I was able to learn many things through this little journey. Not only was I able to share with other veterans and their families about possible ways to get help through The Coalition, and let others know ways to support our veterans but, I was able to see my own family thrive! 
When I began putting said fundraiser together I had both anxiety, and excitement. I truly enjoy being a part of The Coalition, and it is always wonderful sharing about things I enjoy. However, I know that putting together such an event takes time and can cause a bit of a chaotic schedule. I had concerns that this would cause triggers for my husbands PTSD. Here and there throughout the month leading up to our Pancake Breakfast fundraiser we had minor episodes (yes, I definitely had some too) but, thankfully, none any where near what I expected. 

I knew on the day of the event I would need to lean on my family and close friends for help because no one person can do anything great alone. I barely got any rest the final two days before the breakfast because I was running through how to handle attempting to run an event and be prepared to counsel my Love through an episode, as well as maintain a watchful eye on our four children. Gratefully, if I needed to step away with my husband I had amazing support from family and friends prepared to fill my gaps. 

I am so glad to say that these anxieties were all worthless. I had spent many hours planning this event and just as many preparing my husband, kids, other family, and friends for what their participating parts would be. The day before our event my husband shared some concerns that he feels like wouldn't be much help. In fact, he felt like more of a burden to me because he knows this is a probable trigger. This saddened me, I never want him to feel like a burden. I so wish I could lend him my eyes to see just how extremely wonderful he is. There have been many times that he is the only reason I had the strength to carry on with something. I tried to hide my own panic and insecurities, instead choosing to share with him my truly deepest feelings that I had every faith that he would be amazing.

It is with much joy that I share with you that my family and friends' support carried me through every minute of the day. There are no words for the pride I have that my kids were on their best behavior, and my husband did the fantastic job I had every faith he could. I already felt it a privilege to be able to share The Coalition with my community with the support of my Salute Heroes family. Much to my welcomed surprise, I learned that I was also granted the honor of actually seeing just how resilient and extravagant my own little family really is from a whole new light!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...