Tuesday, April 4, 2017

His Alive Day - Antoinette Batchelor

Today, April 4th 2017 marks 13 years since the beginning of what would be later named the Siege of Sadr City. It would last 4 years, 1 month, 1 week and it all began on a day dubbed Black Sunday. 8 US troops were killed on the first day of fighting, a further 51 of them were injured. 
13 Years is a long time. I don't know what I was doing on April 4th 2004, I was all of 16 years old, Im sure most people on my friends list couldn't tell me where they were on April 4th 2004. My children were not yet born, and wouldn't be for another 6. They are growing up in a world where April 4th 2004 was the distant past. And yet.... Echos of that day ring through our lives and will forever. Ghosts of that siege sit with us at dinner each evening, and join my husband in his dreams at night. They will never be far from our family. If you've ever met my husband, you've met those Ghosts. They travel with him everywhere he goes, they are part of who he is now, they are as much a part of him as anything is a part of him. The after effects of that day will be with my husband his entire life, they will be with my children their entire lives, and probably their children. and yet. We are so beyond blessed, because Today, 13 years later, against all odds, despite the fact that his war has never ended, my Husband woke up this morning.

8 families today woke up without being secure in that knowledge. please pray for them today, Please pray for 8 families who got Flags when their loved ones were bought home in cargo holds. please pray for 50 other service men and woman who are also living with the physical reminders of 04/04/04 and the countless others who are living with the memory. Time does its best to heal all hurts, but some scars will never fade. Thank a Veteran today, infact, Thank a veteran every day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...