Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Little Boys and Lamborghinis

Yesterday morning, April 29th,  a little boy jumped on me, "Mommy, next year I'm going to have double digits!". I thought, "Wow. I remember that feeling. It was exciting for me, but now...now I wonder how my mom felt.", now I wonder how she feels having all of her children in their 30's.

Yesterday I've been a mom for 9 years. It seems like a long time, but it really isn't, is it? There has been a lot, of ups and downs, but that's how we get though life. We fall, we learn, and we get back up again. John Michael Montgomery put it best "Life's a dance, you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow. Don't worry 'bout what you don't know. Life's a dance, you learn as you go.". Seems like parenthood is a lot of following, learning from other parent's, taking advice from your parents, even grandparents. There's some leading too, you are leading your kids to be better people than you are, be more successful in life than you have been, to be better all around. At least that's what I hope to be teaching my kids. In 9 years I have told my sons to always stand up for the little guy, never make fun of anyone for anything, always turn the other cheek when someone is saying rude or mean things about you because most likely they have a problem with themselves and not you, and NEVER be the one to throw the first punch. Sometimes I pull wisdom out of thin air, and sometimes I seek the elder's advice, or I pray. I once heard that the path to wisdom is paved by stupidity, I can't say that's entirely wrong. 

I started celebrating my son's 9th birthday on Friday, and this is mainly why I'm sharing this with you. He's quite the car fanatic, pictures of cars all over his room and car video game. His favorite movie when he was younger, you guessed it, "Cars". So this isn't a new thing. He's a car guy. A few weeks ago he had told me that all he wanted for his birthday was to see a Lamborghini. He just wanted to see one. I knew I was going to make this small gift happen, I didn't care if I had to drive to one of our neighboring states, he was going to see a Lambo. So, I did what we all do when we need information these days, I googled. There was a Lamborghini dealership in Greensboro, 45 minutes from where we live!!! I called and asked if in a few weeks I could bring my boy to see the cars for his birthday. That's all he really asked for, nothing else. They told me I could, I had been so excited ever since. I could NOT wait to get him to the Lamborghini dealership. I even bought him a t-shit with the Lamborghini design on it. 

The dealership has weird hours, they aren't open on the weekends and some weeks not open until Wednesday, and some weeks not open at all. Luckily, this past Friday they were open. I kept him home from school and told him it was because I didn't like his spring pictures, that he was going to get a haircut and have them re-done. I handed him his new shirt and told him he could wear it in his pictures because it represents something he loves. He was so irritated (except for the shirt, he loved the shirt, he was excited for the shirt).. He complained all morning. I took him to breakfast, we got his hair cut (Of course so he looked spiffy while hanging out with some Lambos), and off we went. 


I pulled up to the dealership, he still didn't have a clue what was going on, and he started noticing exotic cars. "Mommy, that's a Rolls Royce...that's a...", then the doors start to open and a gentleman welcomed us in. I said "Bennett, what are these?" and his face lit up like the fourth of July! "OH MY GOODNESS MOMMY! LAMBORGHINIS!!!". There were signs all over the place, "Do not touch the cars", I explained to the person that it was his birthday and that this was all he had asked for, just to SEE these cars. The man told him that he would do one better, opened the door, and said "Get on in, happy birthday buddy!". 

We spent about about an hour there talking about Lamborghinis. He got to sit in two of the cars, and the whole time in between a few sentences would say "Oh my goodness, I can't believe this is real. I can't believe I am sitting in a real Lambo, I could actually cry.". My heart was so happy that he was happy. 

When we walked out of the building he stopped, and gave me the biggest hug I think I had ever gotten from him, and he said "Thank you so much mommy, you're the best.". Music to a mother's ears. 

On Sunday, his actual birthday, we went to the Texas Road House and to see the new Avengers movie as a family, but all weekend he kept saying "I can't believe I saw a real Lamborghini.". 

I am so overjoyed that I made my military child, born in the month that we celebrate military children's, birthday one that he will never forget. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...