Friday, May 11, 2018

Finding Myself

Finding Myself

Becoming a caregiver means so many different things:

It means becoming selfless.
It means being on guard for someone else.
It means wearing many hats in your home.
It means restless nights.
It means stressful days.

Being a caregiver means an array of many things. When I first began care-giving for my husband I was so overjoyed. I thought, WOW, I get to spend every day with my husband and take care of him. I felt I had so much purpose.

Boy, was I wrong. I didn't realize how much stress it could add to our home, our marriage, and our children. Not to mention, to myself. A few years passed and I had become a different person. I was very unhappy with myself, which in turn made me unhappy towards everyone else. I lost my identity. I forgot how to be me. The joyful mom. The working mom. I gained quite a bit of weight and felt miserable. I had no idea what was going on. I was being the caregiver and wife I was supposed to be but still something was missing.

Many months passed and I realized it was time to change. It was time to find ME again. Being a caregiver doesn't mean losing yourself. It means you find balance in the many hats you wear as well as your identity. I began going to the gym each morning as my husband was still asleep. I was given the opportunity to work for the Heroes Thanking Heroes program as well. I finally found purpose again. I am taking care of ME, as well as my husband and the many other roles I play. I FOUND BALANCE. I am a better mom, wife, and friend to everyone now. I find joy in something each day.

So, as I end this passage, I want to let you other caregivers know, there is hope. Don't lose yourselves. Find balance. You need YOU time. You have to keep yourself together to keep your home together. Hey, the gym may not be your thing....I get it. Find something you love and something you can do for yourself that will keep you happy and balanced!
-Melissa Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...