Friday, April 6, 2018

Training for My Half

Oh my goodness, why am I doing this again?

Why would I want to run a half marathon again? Oh, that’s right, because I love it. I really, really used to love running. Donny and I would make Saturdays our long-running days. Some days we’d run 4 or 5 miles. Other early mornings we’d run 6 or 7. Saturday we’d go for 10, sometimes even more. We’ve run a couple of great 2 hour +/- half’s and running was something we could get lost in.
Then… I hurt my leg at mile 9 of the Brazos Bend half marathon in 2015 and I’m always fearful that I’ll hurt it again.


This half is different. This time I’m training post-baby after having our beautiful daughter in August 2017. I don’t have the same time to run and us leaving at 5 AM and being back by 6:30 to get the kids up for school is done, at least for now. I don’t have the same passion for running because I can’t commit the time to it and it’s harder this time around. I used to knock out 8 miles and come home and work out. Now, it’s tough to finish 9 and still function like a normal human.
My biggest fears for this run are not being able to finish. I’ve spent months getting ready for this and if I’m unable to finish I would feel like such a failure and my family will be at the finish line cheering me on. I can’t let them down. I won’t. Another fear is getting that familiar sharp pain around my knee that comes with months of physical therapy and again, not being able to run. If I don’t hurt my knee and I finish, the end will be totally worth it.


After recovering from an injury AND having a baby, I want to finish this run for me. I want to prove to myself that I can do this again and probably again after this. Through my training, I’m really falling in love with running again. I like how it makes me feel, I like how it’s helping me look and I’m really pushing through the pain and lack of passion, so I can get my pre-baby body back!!
I know when I hit that wall and I’m ready to call it quits, the John Snow signs telling me he’s waiting at the finish line will help. Knowing that my husband, my amazing kids, and our new baby will be there cheering me on will make the tears be joyful and the finish will be worth every ounce of pain.


I can do this, and I will. To be continued as the weeks draw closer to the run…….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...