Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Alive Day - Whitney Hanrahan


This week my husband had his 6th Alive Day. This is usually the hardest week of the year for our family. Emotions run high and everything makes us anxious as we are reminded of that dreadful day. The day our lives changed in an instant with one roadside bomb.

I can still remember every detail of the phone call I received that day. I will forever hear that man’s voice telling me that my husband had been severely injured. I remember hyperventilating and sobbing at the same time. I just kept thinking how bad I wanted to get to him because I couldn’t do anything from where I was at. I felt helpless.

After a week of waiting on my husband to be transported back into the states, we were finally reunited with each other. It wasn’t the homecoming we were expecting but he was home and he was safe. My husband looked amazing especially for someone that had just been injured in Afghanistan. He had all of his limbs and looked healthy. Little did we know at the time that he would get his left leg amputated, have over fifty surgeries on his right leg in order to save it, and a traumatic brain injury that would severely affect our daily life forever.

My husband has come so far since our time at Walter Reed Medical Center. He still has struggles and challenges but the way he chooses to push forward is humbling. I am immensely proud of how hard he fights in his recovery and his lack of self-pity.

I thank God every day that my husband’s life was spared. This whole experience has taught us that life is a gift and you never know what could happen. Have patience, be present, and tell your loved ones you love them every chance you get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...