Friday, September 28, 2018

Horse Power Heals


“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill

I see this quote every week when I take my husband to equine therapy, and I am a firm believer of it.

My husband grew up near farm country and many of his friends had horses, so naturally he spent a lot of time around them.  It wasn’t until after his tour to Iraq that he owned a horse himself.  He loved his Paint Horse so much!  However, once he separated from the military he moved from Oregon to Arizona, and had to make the tough decision to leave his horse, Piper, behind with friends.

A couple years ago someone suggested Joel try equine therapy to help with his PTSD.  After talking it over for several months, he reluctantly decided to try it.  Not because he didn’t love horses anymore or didn’t want to improve, but because the idea of leaving the house and meeting a new therapist was something he didn’t want to do.

Immediately, I could see a difference in my husband whenever he attended therapy.  Sometimes it was just while he was there, and other times it changed the trajectory of the day or week.  The difficulty was I had to get him there.  Some days leaving the house was simply too much.  However, if I could get him to equine therapy our day always went better.
Moving to Michigan this past year, I knew our transition would be rough, so before we moved I made finding an equine therapist a top priority.  Shortly after we arrived in Michigan my husband began attending equine therapy one to two times a week.

I still remember the first day we were trying out the new facility.  My husband went into a stall with a horse that had a wound near her eye.  The therapist told us Abby, the horse, wouldn’t let anyone get near it.  Within about 15 minutes of my husband talking, brushing, and petting Abby she let him apply ointment on her wound to help speed up the healing process.  The therapist said every time someone comes to the facility for the first time something special happens.  This was it for my husband!  He was hooked again!

Through therapy I have seen his confidence build, challenging days turn into better days, and the best part is he does this alongside other veterans and licensed therapists.  Through grooming, feeding, and walking the horses, to name a few, so much can be accomplished. 
You don’t need experience with horses to try this type of therapy.  The therapists will teach you all the ropes.  Who knows you may even end up riding a horse, or getting one yourself.
Through interacting with the horses and therapists improvements can be made in a number of areas including being aware of emotions, handling stress, controlling impulses, communication skills, and so much more.  Truly, "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”


By: Tiffany S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...