Friday, September 21, 2018

Family Time in Paradise



This month of blogging began with preparation and packing for our trip to Hawaii.  With only 46 hours until we head home, I’m doing my best to delay the packing of our suitcases.  Instead, I’m happily staring out the window into a tropical paradise.  Can this view EVER get old?


This trip has been a HUGE blessing for us, and came at a wonderful time with some much-needed rest and relaxation!  However, it wasn’t always easy, and we definitely had days spent more inside than outside, and activities cut short because the stress of being outside the home was just too much.

Even though we had our challenges, I am super proud of my husband because I know he was working really hard to get out and enjoy these islands with me.  One of the things we did to make this trip work was to plan for downtime each day where he could have his time to relax back in our room.  We brought puzzle books to keep his mind busy, discussed in detail activities we would be doing to put his mind at ease, and always had snorkeling gear & tennis shoes in the vehicle just in case a waterfall or beach was calling us to explore it!
The best part of the trip besides all the beaches, delicious food, coffee fields, breathtaking views at the Na Pali Coast & Waimea Canyon, lava flows, rainforests, and dolphins was spending time with family.

Not only did we get to spend time with my husband’s parents, his brother, and sister-in-law who all live on the opposite side of the country from us, but I also met Joel’s family on the Big Island for the first time.  What a treat to see a glimpse into my husband’s childhood through all the reminiscing!

It was also an honor to spend time with my husband’s parents as they celebrated their 40th anniversary.  40 years is a wonderful milestone, so naturally, we asked for advice on how to make it to 40 years.  They just giggled and smiled at each other.  Eventually, they came up with making sure to listen to each other as well as the famous, “Yes dear.”

From what I’ve seen in their marriage, I might add their marriage hasn’t always been easy, but they have never given up on each other, and continue to choose daily to love one another.  My in-laws have worked hard to communicate and still do romantic things... After all, this was a surprise trip to my mother-in-law for their anniversary!

Only 34 more years for us to catch up to their 40 years of marriage, and only 45 more hours until we head back home! -Tiffany S. Heroes Thanking Heroes Team Lead and Veteran Caregiver





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...