Monday, November 6, 2017

One Year


November is a big month in the Nelms house it marks a full year we have been in our mortgage-free home from Operation Finally Home.

A year of walking through the same halls every day, resting in the same bed and it still all feels so unreal. We have enjoyed making so many memories here, and I have loved every minute.

Some of my favorite memories and moments:

November 14th is the day we moved in. Thanksgiving day we hosted dinner my entire family traveled from FL, my husbands family from North TX and aunt from South Carolina. I had never hosted a holiday at my house before let alone ever have this many individuals able to travel to whatever base we were currently stationed. This was such a high moment in my life and time I will forever cherish.
~
When they built the home, they let the community as well as our family come in and write on the frame of the home-notes of love. I am so glad they do this.
Our first year in this home my grandmother passed away.  One night as I was having a rough time grasping the fact that she had passed away I remember ugly crying in my bathtub staring at the tile on the wall and instantly remembering somewhere behind the walls of this home is a letter she wrote, showering my family with love. I couldn't help but smile and be happy for at that moment I realized something; that I was surrounded by a stronger love than just the individuals living in my home- my husband and kids but my family, friends, co-workers, even stranger that came together to show us love during the build. All the messages and love will always remain there; I couldn't help
but smile knowing she was proud of me, proud of my service and who I have become. Something so simple as letting people write on the frame of the home has brought comfort to me.
~
We have had so many visitors as well. I remember before we never had people over mainly because we typically just lived out of packed boxes because we were always anticipating another move, even after we got out of the military. We never settled anywhere, nowhere felt right. My husband and I both veterans, decided the day we found out it was a four bedroom home that we would let the guest room be an open door to any of our battles buddies in need, whether they needed to stay for a day or a month they could have this space as theirs. There is nothing worse as a Veteran then feeling alone, and sometimes we can have a whole line up of family support, but the only place that feels slightly familiar or normal is with our comrades. No fault to our families it's just how it is. We felt so blessed yet undeserving of such a gift from people that were once strangers (Operation Finally Home) that we felt the need to share this blessing with people who face our daily struggles, but most importantly we just wanted to show them unconditional love like we have been shown in a time of need. And honestly it helps us too it's hard to miss something when you surround yourself with it, I miss the Army daily so If we are surrounded by our veteran friends, it feels like we're still in. I even had an Uncle stay with us that I had never met before. It was my biological father's ( who I haven't seen in years) brother. I figure what the heck this year is a new start for us I need to be open and accepting of all opportunities. It was a great visit he taught me so much about my father's side that I had never known and just all around was so sweet and accepting he is also a veteran, so that was cool.   I am glad we have had so many people visit and stay with us, and I can't wait to celebrate the one year anniversary this month!

In total, we have had over 26 visitors and 13 people that have stayed with us for a few days. In just one year.  This whole year has been about striving to be more open, put down my wall and try to say yes more to new opportunities. I have lacked confidence over the years I am trying to get that back. Create my own identity something more than a broken vet, a victim, a mom none of these are necessarily bad, but I'm striving for something without a label. I have failed a few times this year, but I have also had great success. My heart is full!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...