Thursday, January 16, 2020

T'is The Season


The Holidays. The more places I have lived, and the more people I encounter, I have realized it means something different to everyone.  Some love the hustle and bustle of the season, and many are trying to make their own traditions and memories. Others are trying to survive the chaos, or maybe just make it through the day, because all they have left of what used to be happy times are the memories. Maybe some are struggling to put presents under the tree or a meal on the table, so it’s just another day, but harder.

My veteran has worked tirelessly for the past 10 years to become a Physicians Assistant.  His dream job – Emergency Medicine. He’s recently graduated and got hired in the Emergency Department. I am proud, amazed, and in awe of his determination and drive.  With that being said, the sacrifices to be made are not through.  With medicine, especially emergency medicine there are always people in need, it’s a revolving door; it never closes.  I love that my veteran still has a passion to serve and am honored to call him mine.  I can’t help but wonder if it’s a double-edged sword.

I think about my children and the holidays and weekends they will be without him.  How can I or do I compensate for that?  In the past we have always gone back to where a majority of our family lives to spend the holidays.  This year we did not. In the past when we did not make that trip, however we lived among other military families that were in our situation.  This year we did not, and it made me appreciate the comradery of the military.

Even though we live across the nation, being part of the Coalition has kept some of that alive.  My co-workers are friends, and it’s like a big family.  Although I found myself struggling a little this season, I found myself especially thankful for family, my husband’s success and my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...