Friday, June 22, 2018

7 Years Legless

For more than 7 years now, I have normally kept to myself the feelings of disappointment that were spiraling through me when I would see other double/triple amputees practically running on prosthetic legs so well, when my extremely physically active husband wasn’t having the same success. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so incredibly happy for the success of others but I could not understand why the prosthetics process was such a nightmare for us... All who know J.D. KNOW that determination surely wasn’t the problem. I didn’t expect easiness, his legs were amputated above the knee, numerous surgeries were performed, skin grafts creating potential for skin breakdowns, and shrapnel still slithering its way out in places so slowly that I’m not sure it will ever ALL come out. I knew it would be difficult for him to walk again but I never realized how possible judging solely on our own process.

Recently, my husband was offered a once in a lifetime experience, something that he dreams of doing, but that offer comes with the challenge of steep mountain climbing, not a task for the old wheelchair for sure. After everything he has given up to ensure that I can live a better life, I’ve never been one to hold him back from his dreams, yet I knew he must wear legs to accomplish this one. I knew he wouldn’t stop now though. Parts of the whole process will be filmed for a new YouTube series J.D. is co-hosting called Adventures Enabled.



Through our AE friends and family, we were introduced to Steve Peeples, a prosthetist from Wichita, Kansas. Over the last few months since we met Steve, I’ve FINALLY been able to see what the prosthetic process SHOULD be like. He’s working with J.D. and has already surpassed our previous efforts by leaps and bounds. As gracious as I am that Steve had my husband walking comfortably in 10 days, I can’t help but be bitter of the wasted time we’ve spent on all of the other avenues we were forced to cross in order to get to Peeples Orthotics & Prosthetics.

In the past- We’ve been advised that ‘stubbies’ should be used for 2+ years and then long legs thrown at us with a “See ya, figure it out.”  We’ve waited months (once- over a year) for wheelchairs to be repaired all while constantly having to explain that the wheelchair acted as his LEGS because of failed prosthetic care. J.D. has actually been measured with a measuring tape for prosthetic sockets instead of being casted to his form! A measuring tape. Have you ever seen the stub of a leg that’s been blown off? How do you even measure that?   But most of all, I’m bitter that the system failed the HEALTH of my husband for SO long. If he would have gotten the care he needed when he was fresh out the hospital and down to 150lbs, he would have never grown comfortable with a wheelchair and would be climbing mountains right now. 7 years we will never get back. But damn it, the next 7, we WILL make up for it.

After reading and hearing about other’s experiences and journeys, I now know I have never been alone in this battle and there have been others out there fighting for better care this whole time. Now, is MY time to speak up. Change only comes with advocacy.


The VA is not the blame here, our issues began before J was even retired. No one is to blame but a system and process that just simply did not work for us. I WILL share our journey, I will advocate, and most importantly I will do everything I can to make sure other families don’t go through the same obstacles we have had to overcome. If you’re in the same boat as us, just know that if you are losing faith in your abilities, there is a better answer out there.. you just have to find it. Don’t let it take 7 years.  #7yearslegless #bethechange

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...