Thursday, February 8, 2018

Live Every Day Like It’s Your Last


“Live every day like it’s your last.”  An inspiring quote for your day. It doesn’t seem too hard, right? But, if everyone took that literally, nobody would go to work or fulfill any of the responsibilities of life.  I often ask myself how I can actually make that come to pass. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed, like I’m chasing a kite called life that’s blowing along with the wind.  Then, there are other days when I feel like I have tackled the day and can come up for a breath of fresh air. In America today, we live life on the fast track.  We carry mini-computers everywhere with us like it’s no big deal and have all the information we can imagine right at our fingertips. Fast food is cheaper and more convenient between the chaos of work, school and any extracurricular activities.

I find that when I have a chance to come up for air is when some of the best moments are made.

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.  However, tomorrow is never promised.”  The metaphor of that simple statement became a reality in 2010.  When I received the news about my husband’s injuries, they weren’t sure he was going to make it. It was like time stopped - everything in the past, and nothing of what was to come in the future mattered.  We began living in the moments. As long as he could make it through the present moments, nothing else mattered. 

I often wonder if that experience is the reason I schedule my days like I do and struggle with it at the same time. Everything should be done with intention.  It is suggested to make long-term and short-term goals so I try and do that.  However, how can you live every day like there is no tomorrow when there are still the responsibilities of tomorrow?

This week at church, the pastor said something that really hit home for me… “Take time for your distractions.”  I had started writing this blog but wasn’t sure where I was going with it, or how to finish it. I think it’s becoming clear to me that it’s okay to live intentionally and make goals. Not every day is going to be perfect or fun but it is important to take time each day to do something for myself and spend time with my daughter and husband in between the craziness of life.  It’s also okay to stray from my routine and live spontaneously once in a while.  We’ve had some of the best times just waking up in the morning, ignoring the responsibilities that are still going to be there tomorrow and spending time as a family. There are no expectations therefore the time is purely about being together and making memories. Not every day is going to be a good or memorable one, but I can also choose to be intentional about the days that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...