Monday, February 27, 2017

Sherri Piper - Week 4

I have been blessed in the past year to have met some amazing women, who like me, are caregivers to their veterans. There's one lady that I have crossed paths with lives in driving distance. We are able to spend time in person instead of social media. This past weekend I went to her house for a couple of days to enjoy some peace and quiet, and have a much needed get away. Both of our husbands had other plans, so it was perfect timing. My children are all old enough to be self sufficient so leaving them with my husband isn't much of a worry for me anymore. 

Friday came, and in preparation for my girls weekend, I got up early and started packing. I didn't know what to wear, like most women, so I just threw a little bit of everything in my bag and went with it. I was so excited for my get away, I threw my bags in the car, set my  GPS, turned on my 80's music and hit the road! I love to drive, that makes road trips all the more better. 

When I arrived we went to dinner and to see a movie, then we ended the night with a soak in the Jacuzzi and some Sangria. This was just want the doctor ordered! I just needed this girl time. I was able to sleep until noon the next day and we headed out to the beach. It was a great time, splashing in the water, making beach art, watching a seagull dance around us hoping we would drop some food so he could steal it but we didn't have any, we went searching for intact seashells, and just acted silly like no one was watching and all because we just could. Later that evening we went to go see a play at a local theater, then went to dinner again and another soak in the Jacuzzi with our favorite cocktails. 

Unfortunately my girls weekend had to end, and I would have to prepare myself to sit in some traffic on my way home. At the last minute I decided to give myself a little more time away and take the back roads home. That may not have been a good idea, I had more time to think about what possible disaster I had to come home to! Would the house be a mess? Did my husband forget to take his meds while I was gone? Did the boys make the food I left for them?  I calmed my anxiety with thinking, "Everything is ok if everyone is still alive and breathing, no one is missing, and the house is AT LEAST still standing. I can clean up a mess, that's not that big of a deal.". The rest of the drive home was peaceful and driving through the country was amazing. 

To my surprise when I got home my house was still standing and in good shape! The laundry was done, and the towels weren't mixed with clothes. The boys all did their chores and had some incense burning so the house would smell pleasant. It felt much more relaxing walking into the house than I anticipated. I was grateful for that! So, I came in the house, threw my bag down, sat on my favorite spot on the couch and smiled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...