Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Importance of Voting - Diana Stone

Tuesday I took my 6-year-old daughter with me to vote. The days leading up, I’d tried to explain to her what this all meant, why voting was important, and what the president did. The more I explained, the more confused I became trying to break it down. Every question of hers led to a spin off in a hundred different directions, but we watched videos and read up on it together.
As we pulled up to the voting place, I felt nervous. I realize my vote is just that – one – but I also know that there are times just a few votes have made a significant difference in something. As we walked out, a young woman approached us with a smile that matched my unsteady one and asked, “Do you know where we vote?” I replied I wasn’t sure but that we could find someone to ask and for her to come with us if she’d like. We figured it out, and walked together into the building.
She seemed even more nervous than I was, holding her purse and asking questions. Did she need that voter registration card I was holding? Was her ID ok? Was she in the right precinct? I assured her that even if it was all wrong, the voting workers have a lot of options to help her vote as long as she was registered, and she relaxed a bit.
As we neared the front, she turned to me and smiled. “This is my first time voting in the U.S.,” she beamed. “I’m so excited. I don’t want to mess it all up.”
I felt excited for her. “Oh my goodness, how special! What an election to be able to vote in for the first time.”
She nodded and told me how she might have been able to vote at her college, but really wanted to drive to where her precinct was (45 minutes away). I asked her where she’d voted before.
“Mexico – it was so different there! We went into a garage and they have a booth, a sort of black curtain you put over your head, then look in and vote. I have wanted to vote so much here, I registered to vote in the primaries but I guess they didn’t process my application in time. So I said no matter what happens, I have to be able to vote today. I have been checking and calling to make sure I could.”
As I stood there waiting my turn, I felt a lump in my throat as she talked. Here was this young woman who had probably gone through much more than I, personally, had for the right to vote here. She had watched this whole election unfold and was determined to have a voice in it.
As we walked away, I looked back to give her a smile of encouragement. Then I snapped a picture with my daughter after I showed her how the voting machines worked, and we pressed the “SUBMIT” button together, put on our stickers, and walked out to see what would happen in a few hours.
I came out of that building with a much deeper appreciation for what this all means. Win, lose – it was an honor to be a part of something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...