Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Giving Thanks

What do I have to be thankful for? I am thankful to be alive. This Thanksgiving is like most, I had to have surgery, this time on my kidney. It seems like I’m always having surgery around the holidays. Being in the hospital really stresses me out, and that kind of stress is really a trigger for a PTSD panic attack.  I’m also extremely thankful for my wife. She can really read me, she knows how I’m feeling just by my facial expressions, she is truly the best caregiver for me. My wife made sure that my nurses were giving me my medications on time, and stayed next to me the whole stay to comfort me if I had a nightmare. I also was so thankful having family around. That usually relieves some of the stress I face daily. I have spent so many holidays training or deployed, being close to the ones I love the most makes the holidays so much more special. Hearing my own children and niece laugh really helped make the pain go away.

            When I was released from the hospital and was on the way home I could take some time to really realize how much I do have to be thankful for. My life, my family, the roof over my head, my freedom to enjoy the things that I like and to dislike the things that I don’t like (like being in the hospital).

            The thankfulness continued when I found out my daughter had flown home for Thanksgiving. She is active duty serving in the U.S Army, she makes me so proud and grateful that she chose to serve our country.  

As we ate dinner, engaged in conversation, laughed, and talked about everything, I could connect with my family. Something that has not been possible for quite some time, and slowly but surely I am making the progress to be healthier and happier for my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...