Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Self-Care


What exactly is self-care? Why is it needed? Why should every single person, especially caregivers, take the time to practice it? Is it a want or a need? It can be a little of both. Let’s discuss it.

Self-care can mean different things to everyone. For some, it is beauty routines. Getting your nails done, your hair styled, massages etc. For others, it can be reading a book. Watching a movie, doing a sport, creating, playing video or board games, and the list goes on. It truly is what soothes your soul that makes the difference. One thing we often forget as caregivers is to make time for ourselves.

I have different moods that set the tone for what makes me happy. With that, I mean I like routine, but I also like variety. Depending on my surroundings. I like to be outdoors. The beach and the mountains. I love swimming, hiking, and biking, but I also love crafting, watching movies, and reading. Our local animal shelter has been a very important part of my mental health and makes me extremely happy to share my love with the animals that are in their care by spending some time there weekly.

Your mindset must be what is going to recharge your body, mind, and soul. What is it that will make that weight lift off your shoulders and take a deep breath in and exhale and let it all go? That is the center point of self-care. It is a necessity to keeping not only your mental health balanced, but also your emotional and physical health as well. Take that extra 30 minutes (or 15) and do what is best for you!

Written by: Dawn Fitzner, Veteran caregiver


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...