Saturday, February 27, 2021

Nose Prints


Here we are at the end of February 2021.  The whole entire country was cold last week.  Texas is making world news as it is in a state of emergency.  Here in Minnesota, we were consistently in the negatives.  I tried to clean dog nose prints off the outside of my back door, and the Windex instantly froze. The nose prints had to stay.  We have an extra refrigerator in our garage for sodas and extra groceries. I had to take the soda out and bring them inside because they were freezing and exploding.  At least we had heat, electricity, and water. Sometimes life is about perspective. Or is it?  Can that honestly be applied to every situation?

When the temperatures dropped that low here last week, my husband could not get his pain under control. He was nervous about moving to Minnesota because his back and nerve pain are amplified in the cold.  He just keeps pushing through. Countless nights he has laid awake as one hour turns to two into three.  Then after what seems a lifetime, the sun is coming up.  He has told me before he lays there and thinks, “Okay, if I can fall asleep in thirty minutes, I can get five hours of sleep.” Five then turns into four, that turns into three, you get the point.  Whenever I wasn’t working, and before we had kids, I would try and keep him company.

Where am I going with this? I often wonder what quality of life my husband has right now.  He is moving forward in such determination and doing so wonderfully. He is not letting his injuries hold him back.  But I can see what that costs him on a daily basis.

Written by: Joanie, Veteran Caregiver & HTH Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...