Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Chocolate Almonds

When my husband and I first got married while he was active duty in the United States Marine Corps the initial months were pure bliss. Then he got deployed, then when he returned home, he was different, and we began the journey of his healing. Along with that journey has been the evolution of our coping skills, specifically coping skills for stress. Neither of us came from homes where our parents taught us what coping skills for stress were let alone any healthy coping skills themselves.

In seeking out help for my husband, counseling soon became an integral part of our lives and probably our first healthy coping skill. I remember from those initial counseling visits the counselor asking what our current coping skills were and discussing if they were healthy or unhealthy. Not being aware previously, we soon realized the way we were handling stress in our lives was by spending money. Money we didn’t have which in turn led to more stress which in turn led us to continue spending money. Looking back, it seems it should have been obvious but realizing how young we were and that no one had ever shown us before, we are grateful we did discover this truth early on.

And so began our journey to replace our unhealthy coping skills with healthy ones. We received help making a budget and keeping to it. We soon realized it was easier to keep our budget if we also managed our time more wisely which in turn also helped our stress levels. Focusing on time management led us to realize how important sleep was and that our sleep hygiene needed some serious attention. Along with sleep hygiene we were introduced to mindfulness, mediation, and yoga. Studying and improving our sleep hygiene led us to realize that we were not drinking enough water and so we made it a goal to drink more water as a family.

Drinking more water led us to be more mindful of our bodies and that we needed to be more careful to eat healthy. One of my worst unhealthy coping skills I had to kick was eating chocolate almonds. I was horrible! I would go to the bulk store and get a huge bag of them and keep them handy, too handy and I had far too many and used my stress to justify eating them constantly. I’m super grateful that I was able to through time, hard work, and many attempts replace snacking on chocolate almonds all day to snacking on my favorite veggies. For our family personally, we realized it was the snacking we liked. So, finding tasty veggies that I enjoyed like cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, snap peas, and spinach leaves and placing them in my chocolate almond stash spots helped me a ton. What I really wanted was something small I could go to throughout the day and use as a stress snack.

Once we started eating better, it gave us the energy to finally do one healthy coping skill we talked and talked about but never did. Exercise! We are still fine-tuning this one and enjoying it! It definitely helps us manage the many things that life throws at us. Another fun coping skill we have learned is to every once in a while, have a nothing day. A day with no appointments, VA or otherwise, where we can just sit, relax and enjoy our family. I imagine as we continue, we will learn more healthy coping skills that will enrich our lives and make it possible to enjoy our lives regardless of the many challenges involved.

As I look over this little blog post, the summary of our healthy coping skills journey looks so neat and organized. I assure you; it was not! There were many steps forward and steps back and there were many repeat attempts. It was not a perfect sequential line but overlappings of many experiences. One aspect that strikes out the strongest to me is being patient with yourself in these kinds of transitions. To remember that even if you have an unhealthy coping skill it is unwise to just stop doing it without a plan to transition to a healthy coping skill. Even unhealthy coping skills are helping you deal with the stress. Once, I simply eliminated some unhealthy coping skills (such as chocolate almonds) without any plan of replacement for a healthy coping skill to take up what the chocolate almonds were alleviating for me. My stress shot through the roof and put us in crisis mode instead of management mode and I learned my lesson. I have learned if I want to make an improvement in how I am handling the stress of our lives, I first make sure a safe transition is set in place.

One more thing I would like to say about all these wonderful experiences of trial and error sprinkled with improvement is thank you to the many organizations that helped us in the process. Many times, the ones to introduce us to and/or help us refine healthy coping skills were veteran service and nonprofit organizations. Thank you for the continued and thoughtful support in addition to activities of relaxation to our family. How wise to remember to give ourselves a day off occasionally and we are grateful for all these opportunities.

~Veteran Caregiver


Additional Resource Videos Can Be Found At:

Psych Hub

PsychArmor Institute 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...