Friday, July 17, 2020

My Veteran's Dream To Reality

There's nothing I love more than seeing someone's dream come true. This time, it's my husband's dream coming true!

My husband and I are high school sweethearts; we have been married for almost 17 years. We have five kids and have been through the good, the bad, and the ugly! But through it all, we remain strong for each other because we believe in making it work, by working together through whatever life throws our way!

 

With having five kids, we put our wants on the back burner. For the last 16.5 years, I've heard my husband talk about wanting a fishing boat. I've listened to him tell us stories about his fishing trips with his dad and grandpa on the Great Lakes. The memories he shares, always make me smile because I know they mean so much to him, and it makes me think of the times he fishes with his own kids!


Every so often, he would say, “Let's go buy a boat.” But the answer was always, not right now. We can't afford a $30,000-$50,000 boat, that's the kind of boat you take out on the bigger lakes (the expensive ones). It would bother him, but with five kids, we have to plan around them. Braces, sports, class trips, clothes, you get it…kids are costly!

 

In June, my husband saw a beautiful 25 ft boat for sale down the road from us. He didn't get too excited, because a boat that big he knew would cost a lot of money. He spoke with the owner. The man told him it was his dad's boat and that it needs some work; it hadn't run since 2004 when his dad passed away. He told him, he only fished in the Upper Peninsula, out of Grand Marias. My husband told him about his cousin having a cabin in Grand Marias, and that's where we like to spend our summers. He told my husband, this boat was meant to be for him. He gave him a price. My husband came home, told me about the boat, the background story of the boat, and the price. I told him, “Go get your boat!”

 

Seeing the smile on his face melted my heart because, at that moment, his dream just came true!


The next step was getting the work done on it. He said, "I'll get it in the water next year." I said, "No, let's get it in the water in July." We found a mechanic to do the electrical and the engine repairs at a reasonable price. It took some time, and as things got repaired, I watched the excitement grow in my husband. It's like watching a kid open a gift on Christmas Day. It was exciting when I came home from picking up some kids from work, and he said, "It's all done!" He called up his cousin, who gave him a great deal on some reels and told him to head over, let's go put her on the water! It was a very happy moment to see and share with him! The boat he got is a 1988 250 Fisherman, and he named her Elana-Breeze- named after his four daughters and me. It's not a new boat, but it's new to us, and I know the memories we make on this boat will be memories our kids will carry on to their kids!

 


Written by Kacy R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...