Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Hand-Forged with a Purpose



Accident Prone. That is me.

So, you can imagine my uncertainty building up as I began to see my garage being overtaken by tools like saws, grinders, and sanders.  Not to mention the contraption attached to a propane tank, and the rather large sledgehammers and mallets too.

So many possibilities that something could go wrong.

You see… Before my husband went off and lost three limbs in Afghanistan to an I.E.D., amputations were not familiar to me. I’d seen people with missing digits before and even had a regular customer that would come into my work daily, on crutches because he was missing a leg.  The value of limbs and the daily challenges this man faced may have crossed my mind, but I certainly never expected to live a life in his circumstances.


When a soldier is wounded, the family is wounded. Every aspect of life changes for every member of the household. I dropped everything on a dime to care for my husband, including my home and my job. Things I had never considered became a part of my daily routine. A few examples…
1.) Electronic Limbs- everything in my life would now require a charger. Prosthetics, wheelchairs, medical equipment.
2.) Accessibility- Planning ahead is a must every time we leave the house. Are there wheelchair ramps? Are the doorways wide enough? Steep Inclines? STAIRS. I never realized how many places have stairs and ledges until I had to start finding a way to get my husband over the obstacle.
3.) Our Limbs do NOT grow back. You only have one set. They are precious cargo.

Every time I look at that jigsaw blade, the secondary PTSD I’ve developed over the past kicks into overdrive, and my mind is set on extreme caution. But then I remember, my husband needs me.


I was filled with excitement last year when my husband J.D. informed me he had signed up for a knife making class with the House Brothers, a local family famous for their forging abilities. (Read about them here: http://www.housebrothersproject.com) My husband is very headstrong. If he sets his mind to something, he will figure out a way to accomplish the task, a mindset developed from the catastrophic injuries he endured. Often, he requires my assistance. We’re a team, and his achievements bring me as much happiness as my own. So, I was elated with joy to see how proud he was to show me the work of art he created during his forging class, a beautiful handmade (literally, ONE hand) knife.

As weeks went on, his new hobby became an obsession, and I enjoyed seeing him do something that makes him happy. I watch as he pounds at the steel, wondering what is on his mind as he slams the sledgehammer down making signature indentions with every swing.  Is he taking his frustration of war out on that blade? Are the phantom pains overbearing today causing him grief and pain? Or does he just want to perfect this piece of metal into something that will last a lifetime?

Either way, it’s intriguing to watch. I hold the fire hot blade down flat on the anvil for him and squint my eyes as he pounds away, each ding to the metal with a forming purpose.

After several rounds of fire and then pounding, a blade is formed, and we are ready to move on to the handle. And that jigsaw.

Ever operated a jigsaw one handed?  Yeah, me either. The thought of it causes severe anxiety.  J.D. only has one hand left to lose, so I take one for the team and happily volunteer to cut the wooden handles out. If I’m in control, I can ensure safety right? The theory eases my mind and my shaky hands as I began weaving the wood through the saw in the shape we had traced. Accident-Free.



We carefully attach the handles to the steel with our own unique method, making sure it is secure and will last a lifetime. Next, J.D. sands and sharpens at the knife until it is a beautiful work of art, putting different personal touches on each one.

I never imagined I’d be married to a triple amputee.  I also never believed I’d become a self-taught, husband-trained blacksmith forging knives either. But, here we are, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

This particular knife was made for Cliff. During the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes’ charity golf tournament, a handmade knife by J.D. was auctioned off and Cliff was the lucky winner.  After a practice round and some hard work and dedication, we are pleased with the finished product. Thank you, Cliff, for supporting such a great cause, and we hope you will enjoy your blade forever- the memories we made creating it for you certainly will.

-Ashlee Williams, HTH Representative and Veteran Caregiver

2 comments:

  1. So awesome Timmy wants to come make a knife with you guys next time we come to visit my dad.-Heather Carlisle Krutzfeld

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, well written and thought out blog post. I could feel your anxiety thinking of JD using only 1 hand to manipulate wood with a jigsaw. You two really do inspire a lot of veteran families.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...