Friday, November 23, 2018

Sit Means Sit: The Training Continues

The end of September and the first part of October was an exciting time for me. I was blessed to be part of the team that brought a group of Veterans and their spouses to New York for the Heroes Freedom Weekend. From there, my wife and I headed to Ireland for 8 days. I had additional travel obligations in October and found myself away from home more than I was at home.  Although this time away was amazing- there was one downfall. Luna is too young to travel with me which meant she had to stay with the kids and family while my wife and I were gone. Luna had progressed beautifully in her training before my traveling began and I was so proud of how far we had come.

As I write this blog, I am looking at the remnants of a pair of Oakley sun glasses that are sitting on top of a flyer for a dog training organization called Sit Means Sit. It is very ironic because I believe the only part of her training she remembers IS sit. Although we left her in our home with our children and my mother in law, she has been acting like a rebellious teenager. We had hoped that bringing someone in to stay with her and keep her environment the same would stop some of the regression that we knew was inevitable. The amount of regression we have experienced is much more than we ever could have anticipated and decided to get outside help.

Luna developed a UTI while we were traveling and we had difficulty getting her healthy again. When we were leaving on a second trip her UTI reemerged and she had to have a multitude of tests again including an ultrasound and bloodwork to see if her kidneys were involved. This sweet baby that had been potty-trained since we got her was now having difficulty controlling her bladder. Luna was even peeing in our bed in her sleep. This illness came at the same time as what we now think is separation anxiety.

Luna started freaking out when we would leave her at home. We have other dogs and prior to this she was ok to be home and not kenneled when we went to the gym or on a quick errand. Now, Luna is tearing up the house- eating sunglasses, boxes, toys, and peeing all over the house if she is left alone. Even if we leave her downstairs and we are upstairs. This led us to the decision to bring in a professional. Someone that can assess her behavior and make sure that we get it under control immediately. I often travel for work and we can not have her go through this type of regression every time I am gone. Eventually she will travel with me but not until she is fully trained as a service dog and passes the test. This could take many more months.

I know that both my wife and I will not be gone at the same time in the next few months so I am confident we can get this little girl back on track. I look forward to the meeting with the trainer who will hopefully be able to tell me how to fix these newfound fears and habits. One trait that she has not lost that I believe is important part of her training is her medical empathy. Last week my wife had to start some new medications while I was out of town and it has made her pretty sick. Luna did not leave her side- laying on top of her to keep her in bed, laying next to her when she was vomiting in the bathroom, and jumping up and pawing at her when she was getting very anxious dealing with our adopted son’s difficulties in school. These are not things we have taught her, these are things she does instinctively.

I know that Luna will regain the skills she has forgotten and we will move forward in her training over the next few weeks. Stay tuned.

Juan Perez, Heroes Thanking Heroes Assistant Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...