Wednesday, August 9, 2017

National Purple Heart Day

National Purple Heart Day

In honor of National Purple Heart Day, I started gazing through photos from the bittersweet ceremony of my husband’s pinning.  It was a day that I will never forget. November 6, 2010, also my daughter’s first birthday.  I had the entire party planned.  It would be a perfect first birthday full of food, family, and celebration but most importantly her deployed father was scheduled to return home on mid-tour leave from Afghanistan to celebrate with us.


We had no idea that this day would turn into so much more than a birthday celebration….


Only 3 weeks earlier, we had packed a suitcase and darted to Texas, none of the birthday decorations, presents, or plans able to fit along with us on our rush out.  My husband was fighting for his life and I was fighting to make sure my daughter and I could be by his side.  I knew that is what he needed in that moment.  He needed to see the many reasons he still had to live… the birthdays we would celebrate, first days of school, the father daughter dances.  He needed to be here and I needed him here.  

We ate cake and ice cream from the 4th floor of San Antonio Military Medical Center.  The hospital room was filled with family, friends, hospital staff that had already became family, and so much love that our one year old had no idea how blessed she was.  Brig. Gen. Joseph Caravalho Jr., commanding general of Brooke Army Medical Center, presented J.D. with his Purple Heart medal.  It was a proud day even though we had never wanted to experience it.


First created August 7th, 1782, the Purple Heart medal is awarded to those wounded or killed while serving in the United States Armed Forces as a result of enemy action.  It’s meaning makes it clear why no soldier ever wants to receive it.  The exact number is unknown, however it is estimated that more than 1.8 million Purple Hearts have been presented since 1932.  Although we don’t celebrate having it, my husband’s medal is proudly displayed in our home as a reminder that every day is a new opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...