Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Patriot’s Day Run


This past weekend my husband and I took part in the Run Bling Repeat Virtual race that is set up to help support wounded veterans and their families through the Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes. We purchased our run online, printed out our bib’s and we were out the door to run our 6.2 miles. It was a hot 91-degree day with 100% humidity, which for most avid runners is tough but we managed.  Running has been a big part of my life for the last few years. Running has given me the ability to manage my anxiety while relieving stress so that I can be the best wife and mother I can be. As a caregiver it’s necessary to care for yourself. Setting aside time for you each day allows you to take better care of your loved ones. As a wife and caregiver I don’t leave my home much during the week and I have very little adult interaction as well during the week unless I’m on the phone for work.  This sometimes creates seclusion and a little bit of depression. Being able to put on my running shoes and have time to myself makes all the difference in the world.

Now, not all the time do my husband and I run together. He’s much faster than me and at times too motivational. The type of motivation that can get someone a little angry if they’re not feeling the run or don’t have the energy to keep pushing forward. But today we ran together. This was in honor of many things. To remember lives lost so tragically on 9-11, to continue to support the brave men and woman who continue to put their lives on line and the ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we can continue to live free.

My husband is a Marine who was injured during a foot patrol back in 2004 in Iraq. He took a bullet to the face, breaking his jaw and stopping 1 cm before entering his brain. To this day the bullet resides near his brain surrounded by around all major nerves making surgery impossible to remove it. The bullet and his injury cause him daily pain and is reminder that he will forever be a wounded veteran. Many of our family and friends know that my husband does not allow his injury to define who he is as husband, father or Marine. Every day he pushes himself to do better and be better for himself and our family. On our run this weekend he did just that. He not only pushed himself but he pushed me. I complained multiple times on wanting to stop due extreme heat exhaustion but he wouldn’t let me. He reminded me each time that we’re not doing this for us, and each time it would bring things back into perspective for me and I would continue running. Right before our run my husband grabbed our American Flag that hangs in our front yard as you will see in the picture. We received waves, thumbs up and some would honk their horn showing their support, other’s would just stare wondering what we were doing but for me, I felt pride and so much love for my husband. Not only for what he has done but for what he continues to do today in helping our wounded veterans and their families. It was also very overwhelming at times, knowing things could have been very different for our family if he never came home.

We started and finished together.


When I told Donny that I was going to add something he said to the story, he said: “It was hot, it was tough but it was worth it. The medal says “Let’s roll” which is what the passengers said before they attempted to overtake the terrorists on flight 93. That flight crashed and all lives were lost. Their actions inspired me and the memory of all the lives lost at Ground Zero motivated me. The spirit of service members who’ve bravely given their lives in defense of America in the Global War on Terror carried me. It was tough but it was for the right reasons, quitting wasn’t an option”.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of both of, your love for others and patriotism for our country knows no bounds. We could not be more blessed than to have men in women just like you supporting our country and caring for the solders and their families. Keep on rolling Sarah and Donny, your work inspires so many!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...