Tuesday, September 13, 2016

9/11 Where were you? - Joan Cadena

If you ask any American where they were when they heard we had been attacked September 11th, they can tell you. Most of them will even follow it by saying,” I remember it like it was yesterday.” When someone even says 9/11, it brings back emotions I can remember as if I was finding out for the first time all over again.  I remember the day perfectly, I was in middle school, just finished gym class and the period was almost over. Then our principal came over the PA system announcing our nation had just attacked. I then went to my next class where the teachers tried to keep structure, but there was a distinct ambiance throughout the school, our day came to a complete halt.  The classrooms that had a television had the news on, I’m sure some of the teachers and some of the students even watched as the second plane hit.  The teachers tried to keep it together, but did not attempt to keep the normal lesson plan going. We were living a day that we so often read about in the history books.  I remember my mom picking me up from school and thinking, what a beautiful day it was in Ohio, almost perfect actually. As I rolled down my window in 70 degree weather and let the breeze hit my face admiring the flawless blue skies with thick white puffy clouds, sunshine, I tried to comprehend what was happening in New York, the Pentagon and Pennsylvania.  My whole body was overcome with anger, sadness and confusion.
As we ate dinner on Sunday, my husband said “I still get angry about this day,” and I just thought to myself and then said out loud “you know, so do I.”. This may be true for many, and not for some others.  But then I started to think, how many joined the military after September 11th? How many people lost family members in the planes, in the towers, our first responders?  It has been said to be the deadliest attack for law enforcement and police officers in the history of the United States.  That is not even counting the soldiers we have lost in the war since.  I watched a statement that George Bush made about the attacks that day and it was something along the lines of, “we hear you”, speaking to the organization responsible for this heinous act of terrorism, and then stated “NOW, YOU WILL HEAR US!”.

As a nation that day we came together like I’ve never experienced before, or since.  It was a wave of togetherness felt around the nation.  It was like a double edge sword, it th I just want to bring to mind all of the innocent lives lost that day show gratitude to all of our past and present firefighters, police officers, military members who protect and serve.
was amazing, but disgusting at the same time.  The reason I mention this is because that togetherness I am talking about I see among the military and veteran community.  Not only do the veterans look out for each other, there are amazing organizations like the Coalition that help to make sure our veterans and their families don’t sink in the aftermath of  tragedy.  I really don’t know where we would be at today if we didn’t have other fellow veterans and the Coalition to help, and that is something that can never be taken away, ever.  So in light of the anniversary September 11th I just want to bring to mind all of the innocent lives lost that day show gratitude to all of our past and present firefighters, police officers, military members who protect and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...