Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Hugo Gonzalez - Seeing Through the Blindness

My name is Spc. Hugo Gonzalez and I am a legally blind wounded American Veteran.
Recently I was examined by a civilian ophthalmologist for an examination. After a brief good morning from the nurse, she put the medicine in my eyes for them to dilate and get ready for the doctor to come in. Shortly after the doctor comes in and goes to get a glance at the back of my eye and abruptly says, “my son, how did you do this to your eyes? What happened to you?!” I told him I was injured in a road side bomb in Iraq, the explosion happened so close to my head that a hot piece of shrapnel penetrated my left eye. That was the end of the conversation.

To say that my day begins when I wake up in the morning isn’t very accurate. I have to consider what kind of struggles I went through the night before just to fall asleep. I toss and turn, and have all sorts of roller coaster thoughts on various unrelated topics and situations that have happened days, months or even years ago. I lay awake thinking and analyzing how things happen, how things work, and how I would have preferred things to have happened including alternate endings to the most catastrophic thing that has happened to my family, my injury. By the time I realized I haven’t fallen asleep yet, the sun is starting to come through the window.  Then I start the day feeling guilty because I probably kept my wife awake with my constant movement and she needs to get up and get our children ready for school.  I must not succumb to the tiredness and push through the day…I have to keep pushing forward. After all, I am a soldier.

Because of my Visual impairment, I reject the glimpses of reality offered to me when I’m out and about, and because of the thickness of the macular hole that is on my left retina I can’t focus on anything that’s farther than three feet in front of me even with my good eye. My right eye sustained a complete optical neuropathy, which means the optical nerve was completely crushed. I am blind in my right eye. So the things that I can see at any distance are usually surreal reproductions or interpretations of what I remember of the world I love so much.

My physical injury may sound very traumatic but the truth is there is nothing worse or more severe than the symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress that I suffer from and that my family suffers from my blindness. I do the best that I can daily, and compensate accordingly, but PTSD is silent. Silent, and dangerous. How do you fight a silent predator that is waiting for the best opportunity to strike? There are times that it is impossible for me to concentrate on the task that I’m working on because all I can think of is the worst case scenario, or the worst things that have ever happened to me. Living in the past, and constantly reliving things in my head and not allowing my mind to come into the present. That’s just part of what I have to battle on a daily basis, and it puts strain on my family and myself because of how unpredictable that part of my injury can be.

The combination of my physical injury and my invisible injury can make things a hundred times more frustrating. It’s just not normal to be sitting at the dinner table and listening to your child tell you about how good her day was and all you can think about is how you are feeling at that very moment almost as if you’re standing on a bridge getting ready to bungee jump down. It doesn’t help that I can barely see her. It’s hard to not feel secluded and like you are drowning in your own misery.  Sometimes during the day, I have to go to a quiet place and do something like listen to music to try to relieve some of the pressure I feel. It’s like a buildup in me that just won’t go away. It’s very painful at times. Then I have to live with the guilty feeling that I’m pushing my loved ones away, that I leave them feeling like they did something to make me go away. But the truth is, it’s me and the monster that lives in my head, and the frustration of not being able to see their beautiful faces. I struggle to find way to communicate this with them so they understand how I’m feeling but I can’t.


This all may sound very sad, hard to read, and difficult to understand, but I am hardly sad. I believe that God has been with me every step of the way. As you can see from the picture, I have felt his presence since the beginning. I feel that he has given me a loving wife who is there for me when I need her. To put her warm hands on me every day and to remind me that I am alive. That I survived and I am strong. I believe he gave me my children to remind me how blessed I am and to never stop loving unconditionally and having fun. It takes exceptional people to live, love, and accept a wounded veteran. Especially a wounded veteran who has seen such tragedy in war and lives with the demons daily. Also, I thank my God for the therapeutic benefits I’ve received from The Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes. Because of my participation with the Heroes Thanking Heroes Program, just calling to say thank you to donors for their support helps me feel like I’m productive again and contributing to my family and oddly enough, the hours I spend in front of my computer calling and thanking our loving supporters allows my mind to never wonder off into unwanted thoughts. This part of my day is my medicine, it’s my therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...