Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Opportunity

“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day” -Edith Lovejoy Pierce


Towards the end of 2020, there was a lot of hope that 2021 would bring a renewal of spirit, the end of Covid, and a path leading back to a normal way of life. For those who have spent countless months isolated from their family and friends, the toll on their mental and physical health has been staggering. Reports of unprecedented weight gain, depression, failure to thrive, the loss of a friend or family member to Covid, and economic hardships have affected individuals across the world. Cheering in the New Year of 2021 gives all of us an opportunity to hope, to heal, set goals, and try to be a better person than we were the year before. During a pandemic, those opportunities may look different than in years past.


Yesterday I was checking out Facebook, and I came across a post from the Veteran’s Caregiver Alliance. A bingo card like image listed a bunch of different challenges for the month of January. Things like reading a book, throwing out or giving away an item each day, and sharing a compliment with a different person daily were a few of the challenges caregivers were given to choose from. The square with ‘no complaining all month’ was a personal favorite but one that I didn’t think I could manage. I could possibly go a day or even a week without complaining about something but an entire month? I doubt even Mother Teresa could have made it a month during a pandemic without lamenting to God about something. The word challenge was used on this FB post, but I think that it easy to interchange it with opportunity. Every challenge listed was/is an opportunity for self-care, self-awareness, and self-growth. Some of the challenges were opportunities to reach out and touch someone else’s life, to get out of the habit of isolating yourself from the world. I liked the idea of donating or getting rid of an item. I can’t speak for the rest of you, but early in the pandemic, I bought WAY too much stuff. It seemed that retailers were offering crazy deals online. How can a person resist 50-60% off their favorite things? The collection of ‘stuff’ filled a hole left empty by lunches with girlfriends or other social events. Now I have an opportunity to donate to those in need while decluttering my life.


What are a few opportunities that you would like to accomplish this year? Maybe you would like the opportunity to wait with a loved one in the hospital while they recover, or have that big family BBQ on the 4th of July weekend. Smaller opportunities could be trying out a new recipe from a cookbook that was given to you 5 years ago and never opened. It may be that you have been wanting to write a book, sing a song, or ride your bicycle around a local lake. Whatever it is, take this opportunity of a brand-new year to try something new that brings joy to yourself and those around you. Trust me when I say that doing even the smallest of things will give you a wonderful sense of accomplishment. The release of positive endorphins in creating happy and positive moments can help in staving off the pandemic blues.


What challenge did I choose for the month of January? Well, I have this funny little journal titled “Me, Myself and I” that was given to me over 10 years ago. I have written only two entries, and the last was in 2012. I have decided that 2021 will quite literally be my opportunity to fill the pages of this book with my thoughts, dreams, and hope for the future. May your New Year bring opportunities to love, grow, cherish others, and dream while writing your own book of life.


By Justina Lyn HTH representative and veteran caregiver

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...