Monday, January 9, 2017

Time to Change

Road to Recovery as I read about the program, sounded like it might be helpful to Nathan, my veteran husband, and our family.  After asking a few questions and talking over the benefits our family could experience with someone whom already had the experience offered to them, we decided to apply.
Later in fall we received a call that we were chosen to go. I planned ahead as best I could but traveling causes anxiety for my husband, who struggles with PTSD. He paces, he talks himself out of going, and he yells a bit. I remind him he's been telling the kids for three months that we are going and all the tickets had been paid for and the arrangements have been made. I let him get himself ready as much as he can, and I take care of getting the house and the pets taken care of, and making sure the kids have all the work from school that their teachers sent home with them, and getting myself ready as well. These tasks are manageable with my coffee and my super mom/wife powers, and of course my husband helps where he can. 
The morning we are supposed to leave comes, the car is loaded, and we are off to Florida for the Road to Recovery Conference. We made it to Florida leaving behind nine degree weather for a beautiful 79 degrees. We arrived a few days early so we rented a car and did some sight seeing, a few other things we have wanted to do, and the most important thing was keeping Nathan calm, so we had a few days before the conference and a few days after the conference as a buffer before traveling, sometimes someone with PTSD really have a hard time flying and traveling. Leaving their comfort zone usually isn't very easy. We also wanted to get all that this experience had to offer.
The resort was beautiful and the family suite was so big! We just could not get over the beautiful weather. It's not often we get to wear shorts and short sleeves in December!The kids were happy and Nate had time to settle. .I just knew that my kids were going to get so much joy from this trip. We settled in and and did some exploring, we even took a splash in the pool. We also went to the Magic Kingdom, Disney World, as a family. This trip wasn't a part of the Conference, but it was something our family wanted to do together. Our little girl was so excited to meet Minnie Mouse, she was just over the moon elated that day! 
We also wanted to take a family trip to Sea World, so I called the local USO to see if they had any discounted tickets. We had to keep some kind of budget being there a few extra days. Later I received a call back from the USO saying that they didn't have any tickets available. But the volunteer I spoke to wanted to make sure that my family did get to go to Sea World. Her husband requested that we met him at the gates of Sea World and there he gave us tickets, fast passes, tickets for the train and to go pet the dolphins and see the sharks. He wanted to make sure that we knew that they were so thankful for the service and sacrifices that our service members have given that he wanted to pay for the entire experience. He wished us a merry Christmas and left us to enjoy our time at Sea World. Grace of a stranger has a way of shining a bright light through the soul. I checked in with the USO to see if they had tickets as they sometimes do. A family of five means keeping the budget is a must.  Since we took on extra days we took on extra e received a call. The volunteer I spoke with wanted to make sure an amazing thing happen for our family. Her husband called to let us know he would like to meet us at the gate of Sea World. The conference has not even started yet, and we as a family were already having an amazing time in Florida. I touched, fed, and watched animals I have never seen before. Needless to say we left the park smiling.
It was time to check into the conference. As were were checking in I was looking around, the other families, and all the stuff around was just overwhelming and exciting.  We also received a gift bag when we checked in full of goodies for us to use while we were at the conference. While at the conference I met some of the people I work in the Heroes Thanking Heroes program with. I talk to these people so often, and finally I got to put a face with the names. We received Snack packs, and our itineraries, and it was time to get ready for dinner. 
At dinner there was a HUGE surprise for the children! A life sized Optimus Prime came walking into where we were eating and announced "Autobots roll out!" My son, a huge Transformers fan fell out of his chair! He could barely stand up he was so excited! My husband had to help pull him off the floor! This will surely be a memory he will charish for the rest of his life.  
We left Florida with so many joyful moments. Meeting new people, and hearing their stories, hearing guest speakers share their testimony and experts giving advice, and with leads on veteran friendly job opportunities. I personally left with information about a school opportunity available for the very thing I had always wanted to do. My husband left with words of wisdom to face his battle, and new treatment options to help his healing. Things he signed himself up for that he wouldn't usually make the attempt to do. He is ready to try the unexpected, and has learned coping skills to help him live with his injury. I feel like the Road to Recovery gave our family my husband and the kid's father back, and that is much more than I could have ever asked for walking down this road with him. Thank you Coalition to Salute America's heroes for this amazing experience. My husband is still smiling and now we know we have a brighter future to look forward to. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...