Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Extended Family

Service Dog - service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

Many of our wounded veterans rely on a service animal daily. So much that the animal becomes a part of them, and extension of their emotions, physical abilities, and sometimes mental disabilities. These dogs are trained to help with the laundry, be a blind persons eyes, be emotional comfort for someone who is struggling with depression or anxiety, and they can even call 911. These dogs can even sense seizures and give the owner a warning sign to sit down because they are about to experience a seizure. The possibilities are endless with these sweet and helpful dogs, and they become more like family than they do a pet or a "co-worker". Service pets have saved so many lives because of how alert they are trained to be and how much comfort they are trained to provide, even though most dogs are very giving and comforting anyways.

Here is a recent event where one veteran's service dog, Charlie, came to his rescue. Thanks to Charlie's training to be one with his person, he was able to get him help and to the hospital before things could have gotten worse.

As I was thinking what to write about for the blog, an issue arose that gave me great inspiration, my service dog, “Charlie”. Charlie is 5 years old now and has been a part of my family for three years. Whenever I’m feeling Blue or have had a surgery, Charlie has always been by my side. He is a faithful friend and service dog. This past weekend, I had a sharp pain, and found myself struggling to walk. Charlie ran to me and licked me to let me know that he acknowledges that I need help, and ran off to get my wife. Charlie was able to get my wife’s attention because I was in such agony that it hurt to even talk. Charlie and my wife both came to my aid, thanks to Charlie's training and ability to notify someone when I need help.

I ended up spending the night in the hospital. I had developed kidney stones.  Charlie came with me to the hospital and never left my side until I was discharged. Charlie was well behaved and licked my hand to comfort me when I needed it. Charlie is just as my family as my wife and children.

*Always remember, and remind your children, that if you see someone with a service dog, not to pet it. When the dog is working, it needs to be in full focus at all times and can not have any distractions. If a young child does want to pet the animal, always ask the owners permission first. It is at the owners discretion if they want their animal pet or not.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...