Wednesday, May 24, 2017

My Family Is My World

My husband and family are my world. I couldn’t imagine my life any different. I am my husband’s caregiver and have been now for 13 years. My husband Donny was injured while on deployment as a Marine in Iraq in 2004. While on a foot patrol he was shot in the face, and to this day the bullet is still lodge in his skull near his brain. My husband’s injuries are what you call “invisible wounds” Just by looking at him you couldn’t tell he was severely wounded and almost didn’t come home the night of Oct 12th, 2004.  Although his injuries are invisible they are very present every day. Memory loss, nerve pain, post-traumatic stress are all things we deal with daily. Being my husband’s caregiver allows me to remove any additional stress he may encounter outside of the items listed above. We’re a team no doubt, but I handle a lot of the day to day with our kids and home schedule leaving hardly any time for myself. Being a caregiver takes a strong person to step up and say yes, I’ll be there for you through the good and the bad. Every day is different and being a caregiver you mentally prepare yourself before going to bed knowing that tomorrow will bring new challenges and try every emotion you have. I take pride in knowing the care I have for my husband is appreciated but more importantly recognized nationally. My life as a caregiver is challenging but I take pride in it every day knowing I’m helping my hero get through his bad days and to have better ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Rope of Life

You are on a line between life and death. What can you do? Nothing. But there are things that come out of that. The Anxiety stage is when yo...